No EMR can match the value, insight or the support we provide with our mammography information system
With a growing shortage of radiologists, technologists and IT staff, PenRad MIS offers productivity and financial gains along with many other benefits not fully recognized. This product significantly improves professional productivity, quality and revenue in mammography reporting workflow through automating tasks and eliminating duplication, secondary data input and transcription.
Simply stated, there is a high cost for NOT having a dedicated mammography solution integrated with an EMR/EHR, including the support staff and consultants for custom reports, problem solving, updating and maintaining the software. The all-in-one EMR has its benefits; however, breast facilities are best served with PenRad technology for optimization of staff, research and patient engagement.
HOW PENRAD BENEFITS YOU
Enhance exam management and streamline workflow with optimized worklists
Improve procedure efficiency with narrative reporting (structured/free-text/VR, and CDS)
Customize and preset macros to enhance professional productivity
Automate all statistical tracking, reporting, follow-up and reminder processes
Simplify by centralizing all record keeping with a common database
Enable patients to go to any facility in the system while maintaining individual site statistics
Simplify, enhance and automate record keeping, reminder and follow-up processes
Create and review electronic history sheets with one tap on the screen
Greatly minimize paperwork while providing in-depth and accurate information to radiologist
Quality mammography information system that provides instant results
Experience enhanced care and education through efficiencies gained
The first step in proper tracking, monitoring and fighting breast cancer
Features and Benefits Overview
• Client/Server Technology: LAN/WAN enterprise capability, Citrix, terminal services, web, off-line (mobile imaging)
• SQL Server: MS SQL relational, robust, automatic re-index, logs and backup
• Document format flexibility: For patient letters and exams including customization of font and images
• Administrative reports: Advanced statistical reports allow print and export (i.e. Excel, tab, PDF, etc.)
• System Interfaces: Compatible with HIS/RIS/EMR systems, DICOM and softcopy
• Captures patient data once: No need to re-enter patient information
• Bar-Code awareness: Instant error-less identification by exam accession and patient MRN
• Paperless files: Online repository for prior exams, history, risk and correspondence
• Interactive patient interviews: Eliminates errors and saves patients time, or update with wireless or kiosk tablet
• Captures referral information: Simplifies management of referral patterns for enhanced marketing
• Information system: Tracks all data automatically, common access for exam results and patient information
• Medical auditing: Statistical data by personnel and/or by location for MQSA audits and more
• Complements workflow: Increases efficiency and productivity for radiologists and technologists
• Increases productivity: Focuses staff on efficient patient throughput and service versus clerical tasks
• Tap-not-type technology: Allows collection of data with sliders and narrative reports from just a few keywords
• 24/7 Connection: Instant online and phone support with access to an application specialist
• No hidden costs: All PenRad software updates are covered in license agreement
• Best in KLAS MIS: PenRad is the industry leader in MIS
• Narrative report generation: One click exam report generation, and data bound macros
• Auto-Clone technology: Automatically clones findings between various exam types for tracking
• One-button negatives: Automatically clones report as previous with findings, tissue, etc.
• Full screen templates: No drop downs, increases efficiency, allows defaults by radiologist
• 2nd and multiple reads: Supports resident and multiple staff reads with agree/disagree capabilities
• Auto lesion location: Auto calculation of depth, clock andquadrant on graphical screen
• Voice control and command: Provides audible patient info, control and feedback for report generation
• Voice Integration: Allows free-text addition or complete report with various VR products
• Amendments: Unlimited and facilitates multiple radiologists, and amendment patient letters
• Report generation imaging: Mammo, CESM, US, MRI, BSGI, PET, PEM, Brachy, Specimen, Localization
• Report generation biopsies: Aspiration, FNA, Stereo, US, BSGI, MRI, Skin punch
• Report generation other exams: Cryoablation, Ductogram,Sentinel Node, DEXA, CBE, Consultation
• DEXA comparison: Auto calculates year to year changes
• Preliminary and final report: Facilitates distribution of preliminary and final reports by HL7, fax and email
• Referring preferences: Automatically filters exams based on preferred radiologist or not preferred
• Graphic report presentation: Visual indicators for referring physicians, staff and surgeons
• Risk assessment statements: Automatic and conditional for multiple risk models and breast density
• Patient consent: By radiologist and exam type, facilitates custom specific JCAHO information
• Built-in spell check: Pre-reads exam for added free text or exams and custom letters
• Common voice from radiology: Benefits referring physicians for concise reports and recommendations
• Inconsistency checking: Checks findings, recommendations and recall as well as clinical information
• Unresolved case reminder: Verifies during current exam interpretation of any outstanding recommendations
• Risk assessment: Tyrer-Cuzick & Gail built-in real-time assessment calculations. CRA Health(formerly Hughes Riskapp) integration
• Clinical abnormality profiler: returns pathology on similar morphology from local and national databases
• NMD and NQMBC survey: Prepares NMD and NQMBC Center of Excellence statistics for submittal
• Task reminder: Reminds staff of daily/weekly follow-up tasks
• Faxing system: Faxes cover letter and summary as batch
• Physician email: Physician can receive exam results versus fax or not part of enterprise RIS
• Patient correspondences: Multi-language for exam, recall and reminder letters. Email capable
• Patient history sheet review: Displays info in multi-language to improve communication with patient
• Patient wireless tablet: Allows patient review and capture history on tablet with browser
• No-patient-left-behind: Automatically generates recall reminders and past due letters. Email capable
• Unresolved exams: Prepares correspondence for cases without resolution
• Windowed envelope format: Personalized, accurate mailings or compatible with print-to-mail
• Dynamic letter templates: Automatic bookmarks producing a customized appearance. Multi language, email capable
• AutoNext SoftCopy control: Initiates the display of next study and caching for increased productivity
• Dynamic work-list status: Displays work in progress, filters by exam type, status and assigned cases
• Synchronization integration: Bi-directional patient/exam with PenRad MIS and SoftCopy
• DICOM SR generation: Creates Structure Report for PACS from narrative report
• Voice recognition: Application login with various third party engines and with Windows speech
• DICOM work-list provider: Provides DWL to modalities from current orders
• DICOM integration: Inherits breast density and dose as well as DEXA integration
• PenFetch image transfer: Automatic system, finds and selects priors and routes by exam type to workstation
• Pre-fetch and routing: Initiates on a time schedule or on demand for image transfer to various locations
• Alternator correlation system: Identifies and tracks film location for interpretation
• Misplaced film tracking system: Records location during interpretation for locating previous years studies
• Pathology correlation module: Screening and diagnostic statistics, along with pathologist report attachment
• Integration with CAD: Inherits abnormality descriptors, location and size – displays CAD report
• HL7 2-way: Real-time bi-directional interface
• PenAutoReader technology: Automatically extracts high level tracking data from free text exams via HL7 results
• One-glance presentations: Instant view of all rooms, procedures or patients
• Daily quick view screen: Each room for day, month or year
• Letter display screen: Prints appt reminders, no-shows, daily schedules and history sheets
• Procedure information: Prints exam specific instructions
• Directional information: Prints directions to each room
• Schedule list: Prints daily schedule with film pick list
• Custom format: Customized for sites with multiple schedules
• Optimizes utilization: Defines all information at-a-glance
Standard Features – PENRAD MIS
The components below are included with PenRad MIS
- Admin Reports
- Letters and Marketing
- Nurse Navigator
- Pathology tracking
- GUDID Tracking
- Narrative Report Generation
- Abnormality Tracking
- LDAP Sign In
- NMD Registry Export
PenRad administrative reports are more than just for audit preparation. Reports offer evaluation by individual, facility, and referring physician, and a wealth of data for analysis of; workload, quality, efficiency, outcome analysis, facility utilization, cost patterns and trends, marketing, referral patterns, time studies and patient services. Plus monitoring non-compliant patients.
A series of reports compute statistical information for the radiologists and technologists for MQSA audit. Audit macros (one tap) save hours of preparation. Pre-Audit report identifies items requiring resolution. MQSA audit macro prepares necessary documents for each individual and facility in enterprise for MQSA.
PenRad analytics offer direct access to pathological finding types correlated by the abnormality profiles, patient risk values and genetic testing, breast density, providing insight on screening and diagnostic TP, TN, FN and FP.
Teaching category reports allow during exam and post exam assignments as well further expanding analytic capability.
Reports offer multiple filters by date range, filters for data (see for example below), individuals and their affiliations, or location or combination of locations (zones).
Various reports have the capability to generate letters to patients and referring physicians, based on various data filters (for example; cancer survivors, zip code, age, risk values, genetic testing eligible, smoking history, implants, exam type, birads) via the write letter feature directly by paper or optional email.
Report can be exported for further study and/or graphical representation with Excel, for example.
Letters and Marketing
Patient Exam Letters – PenRad offers a gamut of options for patient exam letters. Each available in the patient’s preferred language as an option. Patient exam letters are automatically profiled by exam type, tissue density and impression. If desired the radiologist can include a custom message from their library to patient, and/or select special case letters or/and use a form for wet reads.
Exam letters are automatically constructed by inserting into bookmarks nested within the document, logos, images, signatures, recall interval and exam type information, patient’s primary and CC physicians contact information, scheduling and genetic contact info when applicable by location, breast density statements by state for multi-state enterprises, and various multi-level risk statements (based on Tyrer Cuzick range values and other data derived from patient information) by populating various sentences.
Exam Letters can be distributed by conventional printing and mailing, or in the case of diagnostic exams can be offered to patient at time of exam, and/or email by our service PenConnect that reduces the cost of mail.
Exam result letters and reminders can be sent to patient medical portal as a PDF. Many patient studies conclude, patients prefer results as soon as possible and direct versus “going” to a portal.
Patient Reminder Letters – PenRad offers a gamut of options for patient reminder letters. Each available in the patient’s preferred language as an option. Reminding patients to return increases compliance.
Patient reminder letters are automatically constructed by inserting logos, images, signatures, recall exam type information, patient primary contact information, and scheduling contact info by location and directions, within bookmarks nested the document.
As an option, reminders letters can automatically include recommendations based on patient’s risk values and breast density to simultaneously schedule Tomo, Ultrasound, and Dexa optimizing the facilities operation.
Letters can be distributed via conventional printing and mailing, or with our optional Email service PenConnect, that reduces the cost of mail by emailing instead and still prints letters for patients not participating in email. Reminder as well as exam result letters can be sent to patient medical portal as well as a PDF. Many patient studies conclude, patients prefer results as soon as possible and direct versus “going” to a portal. And for facilities with online portals for scheduling and patient medical and risk history updates, links for access can be incorporated.
PenRad’s autoselect reminder system automatically monitors the patient recall system. AutoSelect allows letters to generate any frequency (once a month, week, every day, etc.) to streamline scheduling. Autoselect automatically selects the initial (reminder) and consecutive (past-due and final) correspondences for all letter recall group types (screening, follow-up, bx follow-up and immediate) and incorporates internal date off-sets for print dates for each letter. The algorithm maintains 30 days between letters and includes letter generation when there has been extended time between processing.
In addition to standard recall letters, a series of letters can be automatically processed for patients with an immediate recall 10 days after patient’s exam that did not return or no future appointment within 15 days. Common examples; additional imaging or a biopsy.
PenRad’s AutoSelect selects patients 30 days in advance of next targeted exam date and a reminder letter is generated. If appointment messaged received within +/-15 days of the targeted exam date the patient reminder letter inhibited. 30 – 60 days after targeted next exam date a past-due letter is generated if previous reminder letter sent and next exam date not changed. 60 – 90 days after targeted next exam date, a final reminder letter is generated if previous letter sent and next exam date not changed.
Write Letters – PenRad offers a write letter system that supports one off letters via mail or email to patient, physicians, hospitals/clinics, and to insurance companies or can draw from library of letters templates saved for example; benign or positive pathology results to patients, news letters to referring physicians and/or surrounding facilities, pre-authorization for additional exams to patient’s insurance companies. By combining write letters capabilities with administrative reports, facilities can harvest the data within PenRad for direct patient engagement, marketing and other opportunities. For example; fund raising events, open houses, reach out to cancer survivors, patient survey’s, high risk patients introducing genetics and/or MRI screening, smokers to introduce LDCT screening, patients without DEXA exams, enrolling patients for research with; AHD, LCIS, etc. Letters to can be mailed and/or emailed with a zero cost basis then.
Physician Unresolved Letters – This offers documented correspondence for patients that are not compliant with radiologist follow-up recommendations to the ordering physician. Generates automatic cover letter and copy of exam. Option also offers copy to patient. When exam resolved automatic correspondence reflecting exam resolved. Correspondences can be process via mail and or by optional email.
PenRad’s Nurse Navigator workbook optimizing productivity while enhancing patient care through the tracking, recording, and planning of the patient’s journey. As additional evaluation is required, facilities are able to record and track the sequential progression of each procedure or event for the patient’s journey, ranging from; additional imaging, to biopsy, to cancer board, to various therapies, to surgery and reconstruction.
For facilities offering Genetic consulting or arranging, the Nurse Navigator workbook also assists in the process. PenRad’s rich patient medical and risk system collects family cancer history, and automatically computes genetic testing eligibility with multiple models, optimizing the clinician’s time.
Nurse Navigator also facilitates the capture of the scheduled and completed dates of:
• Patient’s medical and supporting contacts information
• Each patient event
• The providing party and outcome
The workbook progression documentation can be shared with the various parties involved. This allows others to respond to requests when the Navigator is not present.
The Nurse Navigator workbook facilitates attaching documents and fi les to the patient, for example; cancer board, procedures conducted outside of the imaging center, lab reports during treatment.
Navigator’s worklist offers reminder schedules and task completion lists for patients. This allows immediate review by day and/or week outlook, optimizing navigators time. Also, quick access is provided to the patient folder with a simple right click to document progress, for example; post biopsy follow-up for possible complications.
Offering the industry’s most comprehensive package for clinical relevance statistics, PenRad’s pathology system fulfills the needs for the general audit. It also offers many extended benefits for research for direct correlation between imaging attributes (mammo, us, mri) to pathology, correlation with patient risk factors, gender, age, and patient family genetics.
The pathology system automates correlation of pathology for each abnormality for initial and secondary pathology (re-biopsy and surgical). As a biopsy is initiated for each abnormality (bound to imaging exam and location), a pathology exam record is created pending pathological results.
PenRad offers as an option a pathology results interface (HL7) that attaches the pathologist report to the pathology exam and biopsy exam for reference to automate biopsy report generation and pathology tracking.
Based on biopsy exam workflow (preliminary status awaiting path and then final report), when pathology results are received they are directly added to each abnormality in the biopsy exam. This automatically updates the pathology record for each abnormality with pathological type, correlation with imaging, if repeat biopsy is required and any complications. The biopsy exam is then distributed as a final report, with final recommendation by abnormality. If the workflow requires distribution immediately without pathology results, then data for each abnormality is directly entered into the pending pathology exam instead.
From the pathology exam, information is automatically prepared for the Core Biopsy Accreditation audit by the biopsy physician, and the pathology exam calculates screening and diagnostic statistics by interpreting radiologist for the MQSA audit.
If a patient progresses to node sampling, post treatment and/or to surgery, initial cancer stage is automatically calculated for audit statistics by patient. Post treatment response stage can be noted as well. Separate pathology results for each abnormality are maintained for biopsy/surgical findings, surgical upgrades and reverse as well, when biopsy exacts lesion.
The FDA has administrated the Global Unique Device Identification Database (GUDID) so that implanted devices are tracked by device, lot code, patient, body location, along with an implant date and date if explanted as well. Biopsy marking clips, self-absorbing markers, chips and seeds are all included in this database and many of the devices have a 60 digit alpha numeric coding system.
During the biopsy or localization procedure, the GUDID information is collected for each device implanted through our Patient Device tracking module. The GUDID information that is entered is also included in the narrative report, fulfilling another regulation component.
Narrative Report Generation
PenRad’s narrative report generation is the most advance system available to compose natural spoken phrases from structured data elements. This is further enhanced with our all-inclusive narrative report technology that automatically consumes and satisfies composite orders, instead of the undesired “see biopsy report…” statements in narrative reports. This offers a comprehensive narrative with mammo and us findings all in a single narrative, and an all-inclusive biopsy report (single or multiple bx) with; specimen, marker placement, post imaging and pathology.
Another unique feature from the structured data-elements assures key terminology for coding and payment. As always, generated narrative reports can be supplemented or replaced with free-text (optional voice recognition) and/or macros while retaining data-elements for tracking.
Generation offered for Mammography, Ultrasound, MRI, Scintimammogaphy, Aspiration, Brachy, Consult, Cryoablation, Ductography, FNA, Locatization, PBE, Sentinel node, Specimen, and biopsies; MRI, Skin Punch, Stereo and US. Optional DEXA module automatically computes delta.
- Report syntax generated by selection of dynamic and consolidating macros based on key data items.
- Report generation automated aided by defaults based exam type by radiologist.
- AutoCloning brings forward abnormalities with their profiled items and breast density (updated with density software).
- Automatic comparison selection for screening exams.
- One click negative/benign mammo report screen with common findings aided by AutoClone.
- Report combinations offer all-inclusive mammo/us and biopsy/specimen/marker/post imaging.
- Abnormalities are automatically ordered by severity on report by breast.
- Each abnormality by modality has its own birads and recommendations.
- Automatically a composite abnormality is created for mammographic and ultrasound findings.
- Each exam automatically computes overall birads, combined modality exams offer an overall birads.
- Graphical visual automatically aids in computing clock location and depth then assigned to abnormality,
- Options include various formatting style options.
- Automated insertion of individual medical and risk factors, and calculated risk values (Gail and/or Tyrer Cuzik).
- Automated risk assessment statements based on combinations risk values, density, and family history.
- Automated genetic eligibility testing statements based cancer types history of 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree relatives.
- Automated recall interval and patient letter selection, processes patient letter in patients preferred language.
- Supports preliminary and final report distribution, and full amendment capabilities.
- Supports CC doctors, copy to patient, uploads via HL7 and portals, print, email, fax.
- Inconsistency checker verifies by breast problem list (pain, lump, discharge, implants) addressed.
- Automatic navigator session created based on recommendations.
- Recall event system supports multiple interval recalls and types, and alternating exams types.
- Automated patient and referring correspondence documentation. Custom patient exam letter message section.
- Instant display based on machine learning technology aids outcomes based on abnormality profile.
PenRad assigns a unique ID to each abnormality as first added. PenRad then automatically accumulates the profile items applied by modality and pathological results. This process creates a longitudinal histogram for Profiler machine learning algorithm, offering each facility a composite for malignancy.
With the EQUIP regulation, MQSA requires evaluation of mammography image quality, record when action required and then track the resolution action. PenRad’s EQUIP module facilitates evaluation during exam interpretation or in batch evaluation of historical images. PenRad’s unique review goal and resolution system by technologist verifies compliance. Goals can be applied to ultrasound and MRI technologists as well.
For each technologist and location combination, a monthly EQUIP review goal is specified on the Technologist screen. As an exam is reviewed by specified reviewer, a count is applied towards goal. Monthly evaluation periods are adjustable to accommodate staff schedules.
All radiologists can participate as a reviewer. Specified radiologist’s reviews apply towards their review goal. To specify radiologist as EQUIP reviewer, enter the radiologist screen and select Can Review Techs.
Evidence Based Medicine based on imaging attributes correlated with biopsy pathology. Only PenRad offers this exclusive patented diagnostic feature. Profiler offers insight to increase TP (True Positive) and reduce FP (False Positive).
The PenProfiler instantaneously mines facility data and PenRad’s national database for pathological outcome by matching abnormality attributes for mammography, ultrasound and breast MRI exams. Outcome and quantity are displayed for local and national databases.
As the abnormality is described using breast lexicon terminology, the small Profiler button renders a match quantity of malignant and benign biopsied counts for the facility and accumulated statistics.
Tapping on the Profiler button exposes detailed biopsy outcomes and quantity. Tapping on pathology finding provides direct access to your patients with matching imaging lexicon abnormalities descriptors.
The Detailed Profiler displays the quantity of the matching abnormalities combined with the selected lexicon elements for the distribution
of pathological findings for facility exams and accumulated cases.
By tapping on the path type, exposes facility patients with matching
combined breast lexicon elements.
By tapping on a patient the complete exam history is exposed (screen not shown) to offer review of exams. If desired, tapping the export button enables our PenFetch module to bring images to the reading workstation for research and/or investigation.
LDAP Sign In
PenRad has LDAP integration, minimizing passcode maintenance. Within the profile of each user, various rights and preferences can be assigned:
For the Radiologist
Reading preferences (right on left, left on right)
Reading profiles (resident, staff, requires second read based on exam type, EQUIP, PeerReview goals, master user, speech recognition log-in).
General or master rights
For Data Entry
User, general or master rights and transcription options
A unique feature with PenRad is it retains application position and size, plus the unique locations for; report preview, medical and risk data, administrative reports, by user, facilitating various workstation monitor combinations. Also, location filters can be applied to filter worklists by individual workstations as well.
National Mammography Database Registry Export
PenRad prepares the export report for the ACR NMD (National Mammogram Database) Registry. Options offered are by a location and/or a series of locations (zones). In preparation for the export, PenRad as built-in “Prep” report, identifying possible inconsistencies requiring resolution before file export (missing provider IDs, incomplete pathology findings, exams with incomplete status or requiring resolution, etc.).
In fact, facilities use this report monthly to be proactive, and identifying non compliant patients. The Prep report (run before audit) is also used for preparation for MQSA audit. The counterpart report (run for audit) provides audit documentation package for the MQSA audit, minimizing staff resources of audit preparation.
The PeerReview system supports the next generation of Quality Assurance mandated regulations to assure maximum revenue. Simple to use during interpretation, the user may PeerReview a narrative report of images used for comparison, as well as the recording of level of concurrence.
Various administrative reports are available to reflect level of concurrence; by radiologist, by exam type, notes and quantity. An exam can also be PeerReviewed by multiple radiologists.
The PR indicator indicates the exam is available for PeerReview. The NA indicator indicates the radiologist was the primary interpreter or has already PeerReviewed the exam within a year. The RE status indicator indicates the ability to Re-Edit the concurrence or note.
Upon view of the report, the radiologist selects a level of concurrence with the option to add a note. PeerReview (either mandatory or volunteer) dynamically tabulates cases required to meet annual PeerReview goals by physician.
Optional Features – PENRAD MIS
The components below are value-added additions for PenRad MIS
Medical and Risk Components
(OPTIONAL – Penrad mis)
PenRad’s medical risk assessment survey simultaneously computes genetic testing eligibility by incorporating the Tyrer Cuzick and BCRA engines to compute a patient’s 5 yr, 10 yr and lifetime breast cancer risk values. Patient’s cancer risk values incorporate personal information plus breast density, along with cancer history age of 1st, 2nd and 3rd-degree relatives with breast, colon, endometrial, ovarian, pancreatic, or prostate cancer.
Increased risk fulfillment may identify and enhance services such as breast ultrasound and MRI along with genetic testing opportunities for patient and relatives. Data captured can be provided to justify the need.
PenRad’s advanced analytics empowers the clinic to profile the patient population for risk assessments, offering endless opportunities.
PenRad internally integrates various risk assessment tools and model engines. Tyrer-Cuzick & Gail models are able to be integrated. PenRad administrative reports provide risk result values for historical exams by patient and threshold filters.
Many facilities use the life-time risk tool (<20%) as reimbursement criteria tool for recommendation of breast MRI. In the custom letter emplate section, a letter to the insurance provider can be generated, automatically incorporating risk factors, exam and family history as well as the risk percentage values.
Now your patients can update their information with simple prompts in a “yes” or “no” format that validates their personal and historical data. No more pencils, pens, history forms or recycling bins are needed with PenForms.
Easy To Use
Simply have the patient use a tablet to update their personal and historical information. All information in the PenRad system is displayed in simple yes/no prompts for the patient to verify or change. Once changes have been made or verified, the information is automatically entered into the permanent patient history data in the PenRad system.
Data entry is accomplished directly by the patient; eliminating the possibility of a data entry error by staff. All patient information that is in the PenRad system is automatically displayed on the tablet. All the patient needs to do is to verify the information by simple yes/ no taps on the tablet screen.
When patients are finished with their historical data, they can watch a BSE video, or any other educational or promotional videos by simply selecting the desired item on the tablet. Save time and money when data history collection is accomplished in half the time and there is no manual transfer of data from a paper history form into the PenRad system, eliminating the chance for clerical error.
PenRad’s GateKeeper technology reduces social distancing concerns, patient anxiety and expense. Patients can now check-in remotely with their own device and proceed directly to imaging. Use PenXpress with PenRad, PenTrac, PenLung, and PenAlert systems, to eliminate paper and expense.
PenXpress offers facilities the ability to send patients an access link correspondence providing patients the opportunity to update electronic forms (PenForms) anywhere with internet access, at their leisure on the device of their choice, reducing hygiene concerns.
PenXpress offers before arrival: registration, HIPAA consent, COVID questionnaire, insurance and address updates, consent forms, medical and risk history updates, email sign-up, instructions for arrival, breast center journey and procedure videos. All completed in advance, minimizing staff contact, adding efficiencies for the technologist, all while reducing patient anxiety.
Web API Patient History
Patient Survey Interface for Portals:
PenRad offers facilities a web socket API to allow the patient to update information before arrival. The API enables facilities within their breast clinic webpage site to automatically populate patient’s historical medical and risk history, and offer the patient to review and update. The API offers all of the necessary fields to complete the Tyrer Cuzick’s cancer risk assessment, and compute the patient’s genetic testing eligility.
(OPTIONAL – penrad mis)
- HL7 Pathology Import
- Voice Recognition
- 3RD Party History Import
- Softcopy Sync
- Smart on FHIR (Coming Soon)
- Bone Density SR Import Interface
PenRad offers many HL7-compliant interfaces for bi-directional transfer of specific information to and from HIS/RIS systems. The PenHL7 interface module allows for the automatic download of patient demographics and the upload of narrative reports via the industry standard HL7 data packets.
The interface module (upload and download) offers a series of options to allow for the customization of the standard and non-standard data transfer elements. The download function allows the downloading of patient demographics from the HIS/RIS system to the PenRad system. This typically contains PID (Patient Identification) and OBR elements.
HL7 Pathology Import
PenRad’s pathology import system monitors HL7 result messages from the Pathology department. PenRad’s HL7 engine automatically matches pathology results based on the exact combination of patient MRN, date of biopsy exam and accession number, then automatically attaches it to a biopsy exam and internal Pathology exam for tracking and statistics.
This import component offers the preview of the Pathology department’s report to enhance the correlation of pathology result types to each lesion biopsied (primary and satellite and/or other locations) and enriches the monitoring for correlation, secondary biopsies, and further lymph node sampling.
PenRad offers many options with VR (Voice Recognition) vendors. PenRad’s narrative report can be supplemented and/or edited by VR. Radiologist can use their macros and or a combination of free-text. For facilities with VR, PenRad’s advance integration automatically logs in with the radiologist’s credentials and offers seamless speak and type workflow, avoiding the clumsy multi-screen solutions, and sign off.
Collectively PenRad, HL7 and many EMR and softcopy vendors have streamlined a new FHIR based messaging system.
What is FHIRCAST?
FHIRCAST facilitates communication among modalities, softcopy, worklists, voice recognition and other FHIR applications. It can eliminate the proprietary messaging systems used today, saves implementation and maintenance costs while improving efficiencies.
What does this mean for Healthcare?
A standard that allows synchronization and status updates without custom interfaces, reducing costs and maintenance while providing durable and expandable messaging over-time. As a member of HL7 FHIR, PenRad has taken early initiatives in the exchange of structured data to assist with outcomes and reduce the duplication of data entry.
3RD Party History Import
As an option, PenRad offers a patient medical and risk survey form system (collecting and updating medical hx, computing risk values and genetic testing eligibility).
Our integrated suite offers analytics, data mining and export, a common database reservoir and many more features, making it a superior alternative to a single purpose, 3rd party free-standing “survey”. Utilizing PenSurvey also eliminates the initial and ongoing expense that comes with other 3rd party enhancements and interfaces.
Our suite offers tablet collection and signature of HIPAA, release, consent, email, plus educational videos, and much more.
Softcopy Synchronization Interface
This allows seamless integration with viewing the workstation. As exams are selected in either the PenRad or the PACS worklist, all imaging and reports remain in sync. This removes the error prone to similar patient names. PenRad’s worklist allows sorting by breast density and CAD results.
Smart on FHIR
Bone Density SR Import Interface
PenRad offers a DEXA DICOM SR interface for facilities offering DEXA which automatically extracts each view with their values, and populates the PenRad’s bone density scan table, removing manual scan data entry prone to error.
This automation feature, coupled with PenRad’s DEXA report generation module, then automatically includes each view or series of views, pairs matching comparisons and calculates change by view or series, increasing radiologist throughput to a couple clicks to review/approve.
A formatted DEXA exam is then sent outbound to the RIS/EMR, and as a DEXA option, patient letters and recall reminders are also available.
(OPTIONAL – penrad mis)
- Send to PACS
- CAD SR Import
- Breast Density SR Import
- PenDose SR Import
- DICOM Worklist
- DICOM to HL7 Order
PenFetch is DICOM service that can scan various PACS for applicable priors and route them to various designations in advance, creating an automated process and improving staff efficiency. This service monitors HL7 orders, DICOM worklists and file drops while allowing the majority of image transfers to be off-hours prior to patient arrival. PenFetch also tracks image transfers and walk-ins are processed immediately.
Optimize staff time towards patient
Many facilities spend time and money on staff to manually look-up tomorrow’s patients and select prior images to transfer to the workstations. Time is also wasted in the imaging room while the Technologists wait for priors to appear for review on their imaging workstations. All this and more can all be automated with PenFetch to free up PACs bottlenecks and restore network bandwidth.
Implies rules for image transfer
Automatically relevant comparison images are moved in the evening to the workstations cache before your Radiologists or Technologists arrive. PenFetch automates the retrieval of prior studies from your PACS archives and routes them to the applicable workstations.
*May be used as a stand-alone module and works with any full HIS / RIS, MIS or PACS system and eliminates the requirement to schedule staff to complete the fetching tasks.
Send to PACS
Send various documents to PACS through PenRad’s DICOM engine automatically, and manually attach to the exam. For example, an automatic option that streamlines interpretation for the radiologist is to include sending the patient’s Medical Risk History worksheet to the PACS bound to the exam as it is released to worklist.
For the Radiologist
During interpretation with or without interaction with PenRad’s reporting system, radiologists and staff benefit with an image of the medical and risk history worksheet.
An image may be scanned or constructed automatically derived from the captured data elements within the patient record, including demographics, risk factors, computed Gail and Tyrer-Cuzick values.
Electronic and scanning support
The PenRad system facilitates automatic attachment of scanned paper images with various industry scanners, and allows for the import of external files (Jpeg, BMP, word docs, PDFs, etc.) which can also be attached to the exam, for viewing during exam.
CAD SR Import
PenRad’s DICOM SR interface also processes the computed CAD markers and CAD risk value. CAD risk level is displayed on the reading worklist to assist staff, for immediate review or reading assignment. The CAD interface also offers the narrative report to be populated with the abnormalities, including location, size, and other details provided by the CAD vendor.
Breast Density SR Import
PenRad processes computed breast density algorithms and automatically preselects the breast density for report generation. The vendor’s itemized list of individual measurements is also available within PenRad. PenRad automatically forwards the computed breast density value to the Tyrer Cuzick breast cancer risk engine for extended risk assessment.
PenDose SR Import
This DICOM dose interface automatically populates dose value received into the patient’s imaging exam record. The dose value can be entered manually. It may be included in the narrative report, and if desired, into the patient exam letter. The patient prior exam screen displays dose by exam and accumulated total.
PenRad can offer facilities DICOM worklist capabilities for various imaging modalities in the imaging department. The DICOM worklist eliminates data entry at the modality, and can be used for pre-fetching comparison images.
Worklist capabilities are available by location and modality. The worklist can be populated by various sources for example; patient, orders, HL7, exam creation, and/or by appointment. PenRad can also provide or generate the accession number.
DICOM to HL7 Order
Support Tools and More
(OPTIONAL – penrad mis)
PenRad has various “tools” developed for conductivity among systems. Applications include and not limited to:
HL7 order provides DICOM worklist: Receiving HL7 order messages and creating a dicom worklist and filtering for imaging modalities.
History Sheet to PACS: Automatically sending image (SC) of the electronic patient medical and risk history sheet with breast diagrams including optional computed Gail and Tyrer-Cuzik values, and Genetic Testing Eligibility to PACS, allowing radiologist to view during interpretation for facilities dictating report.
Scans to PACS: Send image of facilities worksheets (MG/US/MRI/BX, etc), allowing radiologist to view during interpretation for facilities dictating report. Also send Rx, pathology reports, insurance documents, ID documents.
Narrative report and exam letter to PACS: PenRad offers ability to automatically attach copy of narrative report and patient exam letter to study in PACS after the exam is release for distribution.
Archive Documents: Within PenRad database, many facilities add scans and attach documents, in addition to non-data PDFs of narrative reports, patient exam and recall letters. PenRad offer unique option that archives non-data from the “working” database (allowing SSD memory to hold the database and increase performance). Non-data is automatically return to “working” database from the archive database when patient is selected.
MRN and Accession number transformation: Many facilities have multiple EMR and PACs. PenRad has the ability to transform inbound and outbound accession numbers, and support multiple alternate MRN (by location) for patient.
Repeater with transformation: PenRad offers facilities to add/remove/padout MRN prefixes and/or suffixes for synchronization with softcopy, speech recognition, billing systems.
Send HL7 results to multiple facilities: PenRad offers the option to receive HL7 feeds and transform HL7 result message to separate or combined HL7 interfaces.
Softcopy synchronization: PenRad offer bi-directional sync with the reading workstation assuring the reporting of all exam types and images are in sync. The Radiologist may elect to use PenRad worklist with advance features (see below), and/or drive from the RIS worklist as well. PenRad sync facilitates automatic bi-directional transformation of MRN and/or alternate MRN, as well as accession numbers, if applicable.
During active study interpretation, if the radiologist receives a request to review another study and opens study via RIS, PenRad automatically suspends active study, and displays new corresponding patient study information, this facilitating completion of new study or returning suspended study, with assurance of correct report applied to images.
The appointment package facilitates scheduling of patients for exams, generation of reminder and no-show letters and room schedule printouts. The one-glance touch screen system optimizes facility utilization and staffing. The standard package allows scheduling for up to 5 rooms, with 5-room modules available to be added as needed.
Scheduling, rescheduling, changing or reviewing an appointment is simple – select the patient, tap on the day/time and room. Or if you wish; pick day/time, room and patient.
PenRad’s AutoReader saves time, resources and money by utilizing adaptive learning and pattern recognition technology to eliminate the need of manual data input for tracking and statistical analysis.
Radiologists continue to transcribe narrative reports while AutoReader automatically extracts exam information. Important information including exam type, letter type, recall interval and BI-RADS are automatically extracted and stored for MQSA audit, tracking, statistics and unresolved case report generation.
- Improved economics with time, resources and cost savings
- Automation of data input for tracking and statistical analysis
- Increased flexibility with data extraction by customizing to each radiologist and by exam type
- Ability to process breast imaging exams including mammography, ultrasound, MRI, BSGI, stereotactic bx, US bx, MRI bx, Scintimammography bx, cryoablation, brachy, FNA, aspiration, localization, sentinel node and specimen imaging
- Crystal reports for statistical MQSA report generation, practice management, data mining and export
PenRad’s Bone Density Reporting Module off ers radiologists the ability to create, track and generate complete DEXA narrative reports to send to EHR/RIS/HIS, and/or distribute by; email, mail, fax, as well as produce a patient result letter. Optional import module automatically populates report with scan data extracted from DICOM SR data set.
The Bone Density screen accommodates capture of patient risk factors, FRAX values, clinical data, recommendations, change, impression, recall interval and optional patient letter. Screen also facilitates individual review of current and prior scan data, selection of comparison scans, and preview of report.
PenRad MIS can be expanded to reduce operating costs, patient anxiety, and compliance risk by using our PenConnect system to provide an instant result and reminder notification by email. This feature pays for your complete automated reporting system and more.
Typically patients receive two letters per year (result and reminder), a $4.00 cost burdened per patient annually. At 20,000 exams per year with 50% email participation rate, saves $40,000.00 per year. Include the referring physicians and save more. Create a competitive advantage while providing convenience and a benefit, for the patient and physician, all while saving.
Email Exam Results to Ordering Physician
Physicians can opt-in to receive exam results automatically
Email Patient Preparation for Exam
Patients may update forms at their convenience prior to arrival, facilitating efficient intake and enhancing patient risk analysis
This feature empowers the facility to direct market to patients based on zip codes, genetics, risk, follow-up, tumor type, age range, breast density and more
Imagine a Mammography Information System with the ability to monitor the vitals of your enterprise remotely at any time all from the palm of your hand.
- Patient counts in the queue, wait times, etc
- Stop and start your interfaces
- Counts pending:
- Recall and reminder letters
- Completed exams for distribution
- Exams waiting for interpretation
- Unapproved exams >10 days
- Biopsies and pathology
- Unresolved exams
- Counts sent/pending for last 3/5 days:
- Emails, Faxes, HL7 results
- Total counts of exams
- By zone, location, and individual user
- Select from various functions for:
- Radiologist, Technologist, Managers and IT remote support
Ever Expanding Dashboard Features
Available for Android, IOS & Web browser.
*May be used as a stand-alone module.
Our Digital Quality Control(DQC) system significantly enhances your breast imaging facility by standardizing and automating quality control, offering centralized electronic access and minimizing the preparation for MQSA audits. The ease-of-use of this module allows users to collect, retrieve and produce MQSA audit information effortlessly, increasing staff utilization and reducing duplication of data collection from various systems.
Used as an electronic enterprise-wide solution, PenDQC provides centralized records, eliminating binders and clipboards at multiple locations. The application can also be accessed throughout the network, as a web hosted solution or installed on a laptop.
*May be used as a stand-alone module.
The PenTask module allows facilities to create one-time and/or repeatable tasks that require attention for compliance and tracking. Collect and manage audit information effortlessly and instantly to increase staff utilization through this enhanced feature.
In PenTask, a task can be assigned to an individual and/or to a department, and each individual or department can have a dashboard to stay current with task items assigned.